There’s a trick to getting the gamey taste out of venison and it’s not as hard as you think. Nor does it particularly matter whether or not you’ve got a buck or a doe. In either case, the gamey taste must be removed. Otherwise, your wife will not want to eat it ever again. So here are a few steps to removing the gamey taste from venison. And remember this, when you buy steak in the grocery store, the beef you’re buying was not from a cow that was alive earlier that morning. The cow was put down, prepared, and then hung in a cooler for a while. You know how you go to a fine restaurant and the menu says “prime aged beef?” Well, the aged part is what you’re going to do with your venison.
The simple steps to get the gamey taste out of venison
- Place the quartered deer into a large cooler. If you don’t have a million dollar Yeti cooler, don’t sweat it, no one does. Your Igloo will do fine. In fact, if you do have one, don’t use it. For this process, you actually need the ice to melt.
- Pull out the little drain stopper from your cooler, if you have one. If you don’t, don’t worry.
- Fill the cooler with ice.
- Each morning, refill the cooler with more ice, allowing the melted water to drain off. If you don’t have a drain on your cooler, just pour the excess water out.
- Repeat this process every day for 10 – 14 days.
Once aged properly, the gameyness will disappear from the venison
You’ll notice the water turn a not so pretty color of red. What you’re doing here is allowing the meat to age. The blood is being removed. Once aged properly, the gameyness will disappear from the venison. Once you try this method, you’ll never go back.
What if I use a game processor to butcher my venison?
One other thought: if you don’t process your own venison, but instead you drop your deer off at the local processor, you’re going to have a problem. The meat processor doesn’t age your deer. Instead, you’ll go back and pick up your fully frozen deer, packed into all thsse cute little packages in white freezer paper. The meat is not aged, therefor, it will taste like sh#*%.